Having a cosy little nook on your balcony is a great way to spruce up the place. Especially if you want somewhere to have some quiet time with a coffee and book on a sunny weekend or a place to chill with wine after a hectic day at work.
Clients often come to Lush Turf Solutions asking if synthetic grass works for balcony gardens and if there are any concerns with installations. In this blog, we’ll write about the many benefits synthetic grass brings to a garden balcony and things to look out for when it comes to the installation process.
Benefits of Synthetic Grass on Balconies
- Compared to natural grass, synthetic turfs are way more low maintenance but still adds to the aesthetic of your balcony. No need for mowing or any of the usual tasks that go into grass maintenance
- Synthetic grass is also a softer surface compared to concrete or tiles. It’ll be great on your feet or to sit down so you can easily spend longer hours on your balcony.
- It is a much cleaner option. No grass or dirt stains when you lay on it.
- A time and water saving option for those wanting a grassy area on their balcony, as no watering is needed for synthetic turfs.
- You get a beautiful green surface all year round, no matter the season.
- Synthetic grass can last for years and is very low maintenance.
Installing Synthetic Grass on Your Balcony
Fortunately, with balconies we don’t have to do too much to prepare the surface as it is unlikely to have existing lawn that needs removal.
However, you do need to make sure the area you’re planning to lay the turf on has good drainage to avoid water from pooling . Uneven surfaces can be rectified by using a self-levelling compound if required. Due to the thickness of backing and dense fibres, minor undulation will not be felt underfoot. If the surface requires waterproofing, ensure a suitable product is applied before installation of synthetic surf.
We have prepared a short video if you’re planning
to DIY the installation of your synthetic grass on the balcony. However, if you want
to be extra cautious and avoid any mistakes you could talk to the experts and
get practical advice, tips on sizing and the correct site preparation. Give Lush Turf Solutions a call and we’ll be more than happy to help you
set up the synthetic grass on your balcony.